Saturday, March 1, 2008

Singularity or Bust

". . . the development of technology does seem to be approaching a concrescence point--what some futurist thinkers call the 'Singularity.' The Stone Age lasted many thousands of years, the Bronze Age lasted a few thousand years, the Industrial Age took three hundred years, the Chemical Age or Plastic Age began a little more than a century ago, the Information Age began thirty years ago, the Biotechnology Age geared up in the last decade. By this calculus, it is conceivable that the Nanotechnology Age could last all of eight minutes.

"At that point, human intelligence might have complete control of the planetary environment, on a cellular and molecular level. This could lead to utopian creativity or dystopian insanity--perhaps both would arrive at the same moment."

- Daniel Pinchbeck, 2012 The Return of Quetzalcoatl p. 101-102

* * *



"It may be a more critical level of juncture, in other words an elbow in the continuum, I'm also really conscious about too literally overlaying a time template over linear time. I had a great talk with Dennis McKenna, after Terence . . . and when I was talking with Dennis I was like, 'well why did you pick 2012, why did you overlay the fractal in this way?'

"And he said 'well actually originally we overlayed it in 1973 on Terrance's birthday and then that came and it didn't happen so we put it on 2012; we figured we'd both be in our 60s by then and if it doesn't happen it won't matter. Plus, it was sort of where the bumps and valleys seemed to match some kind of historical bumps and valleys.' So he was the guy who was buzzing for three weeks while Terence was writing everything down. So Dennis who was the guy in the focus of the maelstrom kind of had a light-hearted view about just how lockstep we get with this is the view that this is the moment where events are going to happen.

"I get scared of moments like that. I get scared of anything future oriented rather than moment oriented. That's the way really nasty movements get started too.

"So I'm thinking its a lot safer to say right now is when it has to happen. In other words its not a matter of having some revolution or some big shift thats going to come. Its happening now. This is all we've got is the moment that we're in rather than this sort of delayed gratification of the great flip."

- Douglas Rushkoff in debate with Daniel Pinchbeck, New York 2007

----------------------




While I juggle my present shamanic quest of faith with skeptical Maybe Logic during my present research, I'm torn between the possibilities. While the 2012 meme leads to fascinating roads - I love expressing it to others in the hopes that they'll further reserach; I wonder if there is an inherent danger in apocalysm and such future worship. Are we neglecting the now?

Timewave accelerations seems to make sense in the present world stage. But how shall this be kept up indefinitely?

To make sense of the future we may require a rapid evolutionary shift. There has never been so many dangers to the Planet Earth, and there has never been so much information overload to distract ourselves. How shall we cope? Transhumanism may make us uncomfortable, but without DNA shamanism taking a cybernetic sort of 'sci-fi' approach its difficult to see how we can ever keep up. Neurological development of a Nietzschean sort seems impossible unless we ALL transform into the superheroes very soon.

Or will we cope just fine? Will tomorrow just be another anxious day of the planet Earth's drag? Genocidal consumerism might just be one more little virus to immunize ourselves against and be the better for it. Spiritual-optimism or Materialistic-pessimism; I could go either way.


The essence of occult knowledge is said to be summed up by the doctrine "KNOW THYSELF", and I look at my own past. For a very long time I have sensed my development to be unbearably slow, and have been awaiting an epiphany . . . idealizing a future inwhich I am an evolved perfect human and capable of dealing with every physical, emotional, and mental challenge that so far escapes me.

I don't feel like I am at where I need to be. Yet when I look back through my journals and my writings and I find myself quite surprised at my progress over the past few years. I am not the man I was at 21, or 18, or whenever. And the only measuring tape that matters: I seem to be a better writer nowadays. There never was an epiphany, it was a slow and subtle race to turn into me (still very far from ideal). And I suspect it will continue be a slow and gradual process to turn into whoever I end up to be next. I, and the world, still have a long way to go.


Perhaps assuming there's an endpoint is the mistake.

2012's 13th b'ak'tun cycle will come and go, and I do not believe the world will "end" or even be "rebirthed" in any dramatic way. We will still be here and we will still have much to deal with.

(Or am I mistaken? A pole shift, Illuminati takeover, flying saucer, mass simultaneous Christ Consciousness in each and every one of us )

Do things really begin and end? Or is it the same old infinite sludge its always been?


I appologize for my semantic limitations in contextualizing all these vague worries. Its difficult to express this anxiety for the macrocosm of the overwhelming world, while it overlaps with the microcosm of my own unpredictable and overwhelming life-journey.

On Saturday I am volunteering at the 2012 Conference in Hollwyood and perhaps meet with Mr. Pinchbeck.

In the coming weeks I plan on accelerating the shamanic trials board flight on an ayahuasca trip . . . and pray for that epiphany I've been seeking.

Whatever happens, I hope I can still maintain a skeptical Maybe Logic perspective to whatever model invades my reality tunnel.

I wish to see God, and still remain skeptical.


Posing more questions than answers, I blabber on in my thoughts . . .

No comments: